Dinosaur Genera List corrections #149

I received the Charonosaurus paper a couple of days ago and can now supply
the complete citation:

Pascal Godefroit, Shuqin Zan & Liyong Jin, 2000. "Charonosaurus jiayinensis
n.g., n.sp., a lambeosaurine dinosaur from the Late Maastrichtian of
northeastern China," Comptes Rendus AcadÃmie des Sciences du Paris, Sciences
de la Terre et des planÃtes 330: 875â882 (PalÃontologie des VertÃbrÃs).

The holotype specimen is an incomplete skull presently in the collection of
the Changchun University of Sciences and Technology. Lamentably, almost all
of the crest is missing, but enough skull bones exist to indicate that the
shape of the crest was similar to that of the North American genus Parasaurolo
phus. It's a big hadrosaur, around 13 meters long, in Asia second in size
only to Shantungosaurus. Several large bonebeds of this dinosaur have been
and are being excavated, all nearly monospecific and evidently river
accumulations (the bones are disarticulated, jumbled together, and show a
preferential direction), and from these a nearly complete skeletal
reconstruction is depicted.

The name comes from Charon, the "boatswain of the Styx River in Greek and
Roman mythology." The paper does not specifically mention why this personage
was chosen for the name, but it may have to do with the riverine nature of
the deposits or with the fact that the type locality is on the right bank of
the Amur River (Heilongjiang). Type horizon is the Yuliangze Formation. All
the material is being prepared for further study and publication.

The paper distinguishes Charonosaurus jiayinensis from another lambeosaurine
species discovered in nearly monospecific bonebeds from the same region, Amuro
saurus riabinini. I had this genus as a nomen nudum in the Dinosaur Genera
List, but among the references in the bibliography is this one:

Y. L. Bolotsky & S. K. [sic] Kurzanov, 1991. "The hadrosaurs of the Amur
Region," in: Geology of the Pacific Border: 94â103.

The latter is completely new to me and is cited as including the formal
description of Amurosaurus. So I have corrected the entry for this genus to
read

Amurosaurus Bolotsky & Kurzanov, 1991

and it is no longer a nomen nudum. This change also extends to the list of
Asiatic dinosaur species in Mesozoic Meanderings #3. The shape of the cranial
crest of Amurosaurus is also unknown; indeed, to this day not a single adult
Asiatic lambeosaurine skull has been found that preserves a complete cranial
crest. But the dorsal skull bones of Amurosaurus differ from those of Charonos
aurus and point to the existence of at least two crested lambeosaurine genera
in the Late Maastrichtian of eastern Asia. If you can supply a copy of the
1991 Amurosaurus paper by Bolotsky & Kurzanov, I'd like to hear from you.

By courtesy of Tom Holtz, we all now know that the current issue of Nature
carries the description of a new Triassic auropod genus:

Buffetaut, E., Suteethorn, V., Cuny, G., Tong, H., Le Loeuff, J., Khansubha,
S. & Jongautchariyakul, S., 2000. "The earliest known sauropod dinosaur," Natu
re 407: 72â74.

The genus and type species are Isanosaurus attavipachi Buffetaut, Suteethorn,
Cuny, Tong, Le Loeuff, Khansubha & Jongautchariyakul, 2000. Accordingly, we
add genus #893 to the Dinosaur Genera List:

Isanosaurus Buffetaut, Suteethorn, Cuny, Tong, Le Loeuff, Khansubha &
Jongautchariyakul, 2000

and the following species to the Asiatic dinosaur table:

Isanosaurus Buffetaut, Suteethorn, Cuny, Tong, Le Loeuff, Khansubha &
Jongautchariyakul, 2000
    I. attavipachi Buffetaut, Suteethorn, Cuny, Tong, Le Loeuff, Khansubha &
Jongautchariyakul, 2000â