Re: Sharovipteryx landing strategy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Bensen" <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: Sharovipteryx landing strategy

> >>It would make sense, as I can`t see how this critter
> would have landed on it`s feet otherwise, with all that
> "wing drag" to the rear that it`s large uropatagium would
> have presented.
>  <<
> The feet are much larger then that reconstruction shows
> them, and they (the feet, that is) have long toes and webs
> like the feet of a duck.  With a little precision
> ankle-control, might the Sharovipteryx been able to land
> using just its feet?

This seems just one more reason why Sharovipteryx must have had a forearm
membrane to compensate for drag in it`s rear section. How could it swing
it`s feet foreward to land? If you throw an arrow in the air, sideways, or
even backwards, it will pretty soon orient itself with the feathers at the
back end. If Shaorvipteryx`sss (8^) hind end had the bulk of the membrane,
wouldn`t it act the same? Seems to me it would do a "face plant" all the
time.