Re: Details on Santanaraptor

In a message dated 9/8/00 5:09:22 AM EST, mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com
writes:

<< Kellner places this species in the Coelurosauria based on the triangular
 obturator process and suggests it may be a maniraptoriform based on Sereno's
 (1999) character "obturator notch U-shaped with slightly divergent sides",
 which I find highly variable. >>

Let me call your attention to the following article:

David M. Martill, Eberhard Frey, Hans-Dieter Sues & Arthur R. I. Cruickshank,
2000. "Skeletal remains of a small theropod dinosaur with associated soft
structures from the Lower Cretaceous Santana Formation of northeastern
Brazil," Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 37: 891-900.

The authors describe the pelvic region of a previously undescribed small
theropod, unnamed, tentatively referred to Compsognathidae. The interesting
part is the marked left-right asymmetry of the bones: the left pubis has an
obturator notch, the right pubis has an obturator foramen; the right ischium
has an obturator notch, the left ischium has an obturator foramen (among
other things). A portion of the lower intestine is preserved and it is
asymmetrically situated within the pelvic bones. The preservation of the
specimen is the usual "Santana excellent," and there can be no doubt of this
asymmetry.