From: NJPharris@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: New mammalian clade names
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:58:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/8/00 10:18:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
a0000265@unet.univie.ac.at writes:

> Because Lipotyphla, like Insectivora, has turned out (if it's true) to be
> polyphyletic; tenrecs et al. (now Afrosoricida, part of Afrotheria) have
> been included in Lipotyphla but are not included in Eulipotyphla.

I can see the logic there, but outside of this particular controversy,
"eulipotyphla" makes no sense in the absence of a "lipotyphla" (or, I
suppose, a "pseudolipotyphla").

I would prefer that the name Lipotyphla be retained and its membership
restricted.

Nick P.