Re: AMARGASAURUS (& taxonomy generally)

>Ah, but the first part of this quote removes the rationale for the second.
>Nature has given us a finite set of individuals to look at.  All we have to
>do is determine the interrelationships of those individuals (hard in
>practice, but easy in theory), and it is a rather simple matter to draw
>monophyletic species, genera, families, etc., around them--species, genera,
>and other groups that, at least preliminarily, *consist only of those
>individuals included in the study*.

    Since genera are assigned arbitrarily based on morphological characters
(at least in fossil species), it should be just as easy to assign a
paraphyletic genus as a monophyletic one.

LNJ
>From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
-Dr. Suess

His ignorance covered the whole earth like a blanket and there was hardly a
hole in it anywhere.
-Mark Twain
Jeffrey W. Martz
Graduate student, Department of Geosciences, Texas Tech University
3002 4th St., Apt. C26
Lubbock, TX 79415
(806) 747-7910