Re: Details on Hulsanpes

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Mickey Mortimer" <mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com>
An: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Gesendet: Samstag, 09. September 2000 11:14
Betreff: Details on Hulsanpes

> Osmolska allied this species with dromaeosaurids, but noted it resembled
> troodontids in the narrow metatarsus and weakly developed second pedal
> digit.  He dismissed avian origins based on the lack of fusion.

He? Osmólska is a woman, otherwise her name would be Osmólski...

> The second digit was clearly hyperextendable, based on the dorsally
extended articulation on
> phalanx II-1.  This is of course present in dromaeosaurids and Rahonavis,
> has been advocated for Archaeopteryx and Patagopteryx,

Patagopteryx too? So it's neither a euornithine nor an alvarezsaur? Or is
it? :-(

> but is absent in Confuciusornis.

Nope. The excellent specimen in the Natural History of Vienna clearly shows
enlarged claws on the shortened, robust 2nd toes, and the feet look exactly
like an old illustration of a dromaeosaurid foot (with reverted 1st toes),
except that the claws are not THAT big as in dromaeosaurids or Rahonavis.
Sereno's famous paper confirms this:

P. C. Sereno: The Evolution of Dinosaurs. Science 284, 2137 - 2147 (25 June
1999)

> Perhaps Hulsanpes is just basal to the Yandangornis + Pygostylia clade,
> based on the lack of fusion, or it may be due to the juvenile age of the
> specimen.  Hulsanpes appears to resemble Vorona and Patagopteryx more than
> confuciusornithids based on the presence of a ginglymoideal articulation
on
> metatarsal II.

So Vorona does have a "terrible claw", as The Dinosauricon and nobody else
states?

> Figures of the metatarsus and phalanx II-1 are available to those who
> contact me offline.

Offlist?

> I hope I've cleared some things up regarding this oft-mentioned, little
> understood taxon.

You have. I didn't even know that Hulsanpes was so small.

> Next is another taxon that's been occasionally excluded
> from the Dromaeosauridae- Adasaurus mongoliensis.  Then we'll get to some
> recently discovered dromaeosaurids.

I'm looking forward to that!