Re: Marshosaurus

Here's what I have. The "Chure et al. (1997)" reference is an SVP abstract (and I bet I'm not the only one looking forward to the full publication).

Marshosaurus

Marshosaurus is a medium-sized theropod (estimated body length 5-6m), and one of the lesser-known predators among the Morrison dinofauna. Two partial skeletons are known for this theropod, including the fragmentary type specimen (from Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry) and a better specimen (from Dinosaur National Monument West) discovered in 1912 but not studied until the mid-1990's. Based on this new material, Marshosaurus appears to be some form of avetheropod.

Marshosaurus retains many features considered primitive - such as the long braincase (which puts Marshosaurus in stark contrast to the very short-braincased Stokesosaurus); rectangular-shaped lateral temporal fenestra; thick-walled centra with a camerate pneumatic structure; bowed pubic shaft ending as a small boot with no anterior expansion; and a long, low ilium (Chure et al., 1997). Marshosaurus exhibits a number of derived features, including inclined axial intercentum (also seen in Sinraptor); tall cervical apophyses nearly as tall as the neural spines; opisthocoelous cervicals; a moderately expanded scapular blade; and an open obturator notch (Chure et al., 1997). The humerus is short and massive, suggesting proportionately short but powerful forelimbs (Chure et al., 1997).

Species

Marshosaurus bicentesimus

Genus: Marshosaurus Madsen, 1976
Species: M. bicentesimus  Madsen, 1976 (type)