Re: OLD ORNITHOMIMOSAURS

David Marjanovic wrote:

I was speaking, er writing, of the infamous Iliosuchus...

This is what I have for _Iliosuchus_. Probably not a tyrannosaur. I have no idea where it sits in the Theropoda - it's just too poorly known.

Iliosuchus

This is a small theropod (estimated body length 2-3m), known only from a pair of ilia. Iliosuchus may be a megalosaurid; unfortunately the material is inadequate to determine its affinities more precisely.

Galton (1976) allied this genus with the North American Stokesosaurus, based on the shared presence of a very prominent vertical ridge emerging upwards from the acetabular hood. Paul (1988) agreed with such a close relationship, for the same reason, and included the two genera in a new family of theropods, the Iliosuchidae (of unknown affinities). A vertical supra-acetabular ridge is a feature of many large theropods (Saurophaganax, tyrannosaurids), and the strength of this ridge in Iliosuchus may be justification enough for upholding the validity of this genus. Otherwise, the genus is very poorly known and there is no good evidence to consider it a tyrannosaurid.

Species

Iliosuchus incognitus

Genus: Iliosuchus von Huene, 1932
Species: I. incognitus von Huene, 1932 (type)

Junior synonyms: Megalosaurus incognitus (von Huene, 1932)

Material.
BMNH3 R83 (holotype): Ilium.
OUM J29780: Ilium.
Referred to I. incognitus by Galton (1976).
Locality: Oxfordshire, England.
Horizon: Stonesfield Slate; Middle Jurassic (Bathonian)

OUM J29780 was originally regarded as belonging to a young megalosaur before being referred by Galton (1976) to Iliosuchus.