Re: OLD ORNITHOMIMOSAURS

Tim Williams wrote...
>While on the topic, what IS the preferred nomenclature for the Chinle Group
>/ Formation and the Dockum Group / Formation?  Anyone?

    I'm just starting to get a handle on that myself and am in early stages
of massive reference collection.  As I understand it, there is considerable
disagreement between Spencer Lucas and, well, almost everyone.  Lucas has
raised Chinle to a Group, and included the Dockum in it, a move strongly
opposed by Thomas Lehman here at Tech.  As I noted in my previous post,
Lehman also opposes Lucas's renaming of several formations and members,
including creating the name "Bull Canyon Formation" for a formation in
eastern New Mexico that is clearly continuous with the Cooper Canyon
Formation of the Dockum Group named by Dr. Chatterjee.  Hopefully I'll have
a good enough hanle on things in a few months to start forming an opinion.

LNJ
>From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
-Dr. Suess

His ignorance covered the whole earth like a blanket and there was hardly a
hole in it anywhere.
-Mark Twain
Jeffrey W. Martz
Graduate student, Department of Geosciences, Texas Tech University
3002 4th St., Apt. C26
Lubbock, TX 79415
(806) 747-7910