Re: OLD ORNITHOMIMOSAURS

-----Original Message-----
From: David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2000 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: OLD ORNITHOMIMOSAURS

>> http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Apr/msg00602.html
>
>Hey, thank you (Timothy Williams) for that link! Otherwise I still wouldn't
>know that Syntarsus had a furcula :-o ! I used to think furculae were a
>neotetanurine or tetanurine synapomorphy (with convergence in
>Longisquama)...
>        Does anyone have an idea about what furculae are actually good for?

About a year ago, I saw a program on TV about some recent studies of bird
flight using x-ray motion pictures of them in flight in a wind tunnel. These
researchers stated that the furc was functioning as a springlike mechanism
to aid in rapid wingbeat.

Another study: http://www.stfx.ca/people/edemont/abstracts/jason.html sees
the furcula as an aid in the respiratory function of birds in flight.

Perhaps it serves as both, It only follows that during rapid muscle activity
in rapid wingbeat, more rapid respiration is essential!