The Cretaceous Middle-East

First off, I'm not paleontologist.  I'm a film student who nearly went in to
paleontology, but decided that going about it by becoming a biology major was
too hard thanks to having to take all that damneable chemistry. And I sure as
heck wasn't going into geology.  Needless to say, I don't have any formal
training.  I'm just this guy that loves dinosaurs.

 I'm writing this short script where this young paloeontologist is sent to
Yemen to investigate claims that relics have somehow survived from the Late
Cretacious.  (The scientific community doesn't take the claims seriously, so
they send this undergraduate to check it out.) In the story, it turns out
there really is a small, isolated ecosystem somewhere in the Yemen deserts
where, for reasons unknown, dinosaurs have held over from the Late Cretaceous.

  Now my question: What would that ecosystem look like?  I know of the
different dinosaurs from the African Middle Cretaceous like Afrovenator,
Carcharodontosaurus(sp?), and Jobaria, and I know of the animals from the
Mongolian Late Cretaceous: Velociraptor, Protoceratops, & Oviraptor. I could
speculate that Yemen, during the Late Cretaceous,  was sort of a meeting point
between the range of the Mongolian dinosaurs (I doubt they reached that far
west, though) and some sort of Late Cretacious African dinosaurs.  I don't
think I have much to go on.  I know I certainly can't have Afrovenator
wrangling herds of Protoceratops (Although I'm tempted, I just can't
bastardize an ancient ecosystem when I know it couldn't've been that way.)
What do I do?  Scientific speculation is better to go on than nothin' at all.

-Steve Doolittle