RE: The Cretaceous Middle-East

Until well into the Cenozoic, the Arabian Peninsula was fully attached to
Africa.  The rifting in that region, including the counterclockwise rotation
of the Arabian Peninsula, is a very recent phenomenon.  So Arabian dinosaurs
would be African dinos.

Also, as Dan pointed out: evolution happens.  An unaltered living
Velociraptor or Afroventor in modern Yemen is as likely as an unaltered
living Stegosaurus in Denver or Laramie.  Change 'em: don't just use the
same old known critters.

The REALLY unrealistic part is the department wasting its resources sending
an undergraduate to check it out: make it at LEAST a graduate student...

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite