Re: The Cretaceous Middle-East

Hello, I'm a first time contributor. I've been reading along, and thought this
was a topic I might have some thoughts on...

I don't know how bizarre the new shapes would be. After all, in a small
community like what is being proposed here, wouldn't conservatism apply? After
all, most of the energies these creatures used would be just to survive and
adapt to fit in with their new, smaller environment. Pygmy species would
abound, and they would evolve ceratin characteristics to better utilize their
environment, but would their evolution lead towards the truly bizarre? (I know,
what is bizarre to a human may not be so bizarre for a dinosaur that has
survived in a small refuge in Yemen...)

Besides, to make these dinosaurs really recognizable to the general public,
they would have to evolve along fairly "normal" lines: pygmy tyrannosaurs, with
tiny forelimbs ending in two tiny claws, huge head in comparison with the rest
of the body, etc; pygmy ceratopians, with (perhaps) more frills, shorter horns
(less likely to entangle in the smaller, cramped environment); pygmy duckbills,
with crests that are less ornate, but can be applied to a more defensive use;
pygmy troodonts, with bigger eyes, two grasping hands and, following recent
fantasizing, their own language and simple tools. Who knows?

PS - Only 249 days until A T rex named Sue comes to COSI in Columbus, OH!

KiernanCR@aol.com wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>
> >>Evolution is going to really have to be considered, though.  Velociraptor
> is not
> going to remain Velociraptor for 60 million years. <<
>
> Puts me in mind of Dougal Dixon's THE NEW DINOSAURS: AN ALTERNATIVE EVOLUTION
> (Fawcett Columbine, 1988).
>
> Caitlin R. Kiernan

  Funny, When I was in film school I played around with a similar idea.
Prehistoric Atlantis.  Then I read Dinotopia.  Sigh.
  I had great fun evolving dinosaurs into new and bizarre shapes
though.  Don't know if I have any of those disigns left,  oh wait, I
think I saved the Iguanodon with lips though.  I thought it might come
in handy someday.

 David Krentz
Walt Disney Feature Animation

BEGIN:VCARD