Walking Kangarro (was The Cretaceous Middle-East

Thank you, Jaime, for bringing some class to this thread.
I agree with everything he said, but that bit at the end about Greg
Bear's book (Dinosaur Summer, I think) brought back a memory.  In the
book, there's a little mammal that looks like a kangaroo (bipedal), but
walks like a dinosaur and doesn't jump.  In the author's note at the
end, Mr. Bear said that he had baced the little animal on a real
fossil.  Does anyone know to what fossil he was referring?

Dan