Re: [Re: The Cretaceous Middle-East]

DaDavid Krentz <David.Krentz@disney.com> wrote:
KiernanCR@aol.com wrote:

  Funny, When I was in film school I played around with a similar idea.
Prehistoric Atlantis.  Then I read Dinotopia.  Sigh.
  I had great fun evolving dinosaurs into new and bizarre shapes
though.  Don't know if I have any of those disigns left,  oh wait, I
think I saved the Iguanodon with lips though.  I thought it might come
in handy someday.

 David Krentz
Walt Disney Feature Animation

 Wow, cool. Maybe you have some animation pointers for me. This story is what
I'm working on to get into a good film school.  I want to do animation, too,
so I plan on animating it.  It will actually be a very short and only one of
three stories (Each maybe 3 minutes long.)  The compilation will be entitled
"About Humanity" and it'll be three short stories about humanity, all taking
place in Yemen. (Because all the stories will sort of be taking place away
from the mainstream, sort of an homage to Northern Exposure. I read an article
on Yemen in 'National Geographic' and it seemed to be the perfect setting, the
age-old semi-civilized foreign land in which one can escape western
civilization.  It's 'escapism'.) So to those of you that want the dinosaurs to
be found somewhere other than Yemen, sorry, I'm not going to do that.  The
whole point is that they're right under our collective nose all of the
sudden.

 I'm hoping this film will get me into the traditional animation program at
CalArt.

  Sorry if that's a little off track.  What I've got so far is small,
desert-scavenging maniraptors (Maybe evolved from the Mongolian Velociraptor)
that are quasi-arboreal.  They scavenge and live in the trees of the oasis
because they can't compete with and have to survive the larger theropod
predator (Maybe something semi-aquatic and big, like a spinosaur/baryonyx, but
actually evolved from an African Allosaurid).
These maniraptors stand erect quite a bit like meerkats because they have to
be constantly alert when feasting on carion.  I've also taken the velociraptor
muzzle, elongated it  and hooked/pointed it at the end in a sort of bill
shape,  moved the naris back, enlarged the naris (for sniffing carion), and
increased the braincase so that the eyes are placed a little bit more forward
on the head.  I've also given them tan proto feathers, colored like a jackal,
and a bald, blue head like a vulture.   The tail I made much thinner; it's
been relegated to a broomstick, almost completely stiff as a pure balancing
rod.  The hands haven't changed much: Still the long phalanges, but the inner
third one is becoming opposable. They are held very closely against the sleek,
thin body. The "killing toe" is also sort of "transitional" now, becoming
opposable but still very sharp, for climbing trees (This being spawned from
some of Ostrom's ideas about dromaeosaurs climbing trees.)  And finally, the
size of the velociraptor has been decreased because they don't need to be big
to feed on carrion, and while small bodies have high metabolisms, they
certainly don't consume as much, which is a good thing when carrion might be
rare (They do a lot of sharing dead carcasses.).

 Please inform me if I've made in fallacies in evolving this guy (My logic
might be twisted with the size thing.)

 And also, since the story DOES have to take place in Yemen, what would be
feasible as to the dinosaurs being hidden for so long?  Originally, I thought
that they had just recently appeared on the earth again.  But I'm going to go
instead with surviving for 65 million years. Maybe it's a sort of mystical
area, like the Bermuda Triangle?  That could work.  I need suggestions,
especially scientifically feasible ones.  I like Professor Holtz's idea, but
it still does not account for why some caravan hasn't ran into the area
before.