Re: James Deane (1801-1858)

In a message dated 9/20/00 5:08:22 PM EST, bh480@scn.org writes:

<< Whatever may be said of others who have honorably worked in the same
field, this, I think, may be truly stated of Dr. Deane, that the first
scientific[italicized] observations upon the footprints were made by him. >>

I believe the "bird track" (probably dinosaurian) ichnogenus Deanea
Reichenbach, 1852 is named in his honor (type ichnospecies Deanea
fulicoides). Don't have my references handy, but I think this is one of the
Connecticut Valley tracks.