Re: [Re: The Cretaceous Middle-East]

Needn't happen in a single generation, either.  Though I've seen 100 year
life span estimates for dinos, implying a long time between generations,
that could be shortened for a quick, warm-blooded group under the right
conditions, no?<<

That's the point of the behavior; it takes only a single generation.  This may
be a silly idea, but I'm not ENTIRELY out on a limb, here.  There are modern
examples of similar behaviors.  Crocodiles do exactly what I described.  Baby
crocs fill the small predator/fish-eater niche until they reach maturity, when
their metabolisms slow down and they become sit-and-wait predators of large
animals.  Adult crocs actually feed off of baby crocs (although never their
own children, I think).  On the other end of the spectrum, many birds give
birth to many babies, but only feed some of them unless food is unusually
plentiful.  When food sources are widely variable, not
generation-to-generation, but year to year, organisms have to have evolved
behaviors to cut their losses without having to go through the long process of
natural selection.

Also, with regards to HP Headden,
I fully believe that tyrannosaurs evolved from coelurosaurs and I do not doubt
that their babies look like coelurosaurs for this reason.  The behavior I
described would be a good way of putting those ontological features to good
use.

Dan