Re: James Deane in Edward Hitchcock (1858)

<P.S.  I don't know that I would call the deep ones "architechturally
challenged"; after all, I imagine it takes a LOT of effort to design
buildings with non-Euclidean geometry.>
Remember that the angles in the building were considered insane (when not
'cyclopean'; guess this means they look ok if you squint thru one eye
[actually means using irregular stones, I expect]), driving people to
madness.  Aside from a Frank Lloyd Wright roof, this is generally not
considered a selling point.  (Wright received a call from a client telling
him the roof was so poorly designed that it inevitably leaked.  Wright told
the client he didn't appreciate art.)  Also, 'deep ones'?  Hmmm...
<researching>

<Owen didn't "allow" Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins to make _Iguanodon_ a
quadruped: he had no evidence to the contrary, and indeed the idea of a
bipedal form would have been radical to him at the time.>
Having had the enjoyable experience of encountering paleontologists, the
image of one muttering, 'Gee, I dunno, whatever you want, you're the artist'
seems pretty unlikely, even when the field was nascent.  I was using 'allow'
in the sense of  permitted or authorized.

<And yes, some of the trackways (_Cheirotherium_) were interepreted as
coming from gigantic frogs or frog-like forms...>
Because he liked to use paleontology as a source, if Lovecraft had known
about the connection between dinos and birds, his psychopomps would have
been a lot more scary than whippoorwills.

Anyway, thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.