Re: [Re: The Cretaceous Middle-East]

<Dan seems to have interpreted that statement as I did -- that Brian is
claiming that a carp is a big goldfish.  That is false.  Carp are no more
large goldfish than rats are just big house mice.>

Drat, another urban legend gone.  I heard this one from a reliable stranger
when looking at the big carp in Bushnell Park in Hartford.  Was told they
were introduced as goldfish.
Still, they are more closely related than you implied.  For example, carp
and goldfish can interbreed to produce hybrids:
  http://nativefish.www.act.gov.au/carp/ecarp5.htm
and androgenesis is possible between the two species:
http://www.cnrc.ca/cisti/journals/gen/g98-087.html
So, maybe they were small hybrids that grew into big hybrids?

Anyway, correction appreciated.  Thanks.