Re: [Re: Pachycepholosaurs]

"Jeffrey Martz" <jeffmartz@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >I've never accepted the intraspecific head butting hypotheses for pachy's.
> >Intraspecific head butting (based on what we know from extant animals) is
> >territorial or display function.  "Cannon balls" are designed to kill; a
> >result which such displays (for a number of reasons) tend to avoid.  The
> >skulls of rams and other known intraspecific head butters, for example,
are
> >flattened in the area of impact. This has the effect of spreading the
force
> >of the impact over a larger area and allowing the participants to make a
> lot
> >of noise and appear heroic, but still walk away unharmed from the event.

   It could be that rivalries between males were cannonball-like. Ramming with
intent to kill. If a male can injur another, then his chances are better for
winning, if he didn't win right then and there. In fact, this may have been
the real intent of the ramming in the first place: disabling, killing, or just
generally taking out the other male. The injuries could lead to death, and if
that male dies off, then that means less competition.
   Just out of curiosity, how was their charging/running abilities? Were they
designed to perform short, powerful bursts, or longer bursts? What's an
estimate for how fast they could go?

                                                    Caleb Lewis