Re: When Eu is not a Eu Was:[Re: Dinosaur etymology]

In a message dated 9/22/00 12:11:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
archosaur@usa.net writes:

> Question: When does the Greek Eu mean "True" and when does it mean "Well?"

When it sounds better as "true" and when it sounds better as "well",
respectively.

But seriously, I would say that if the root to which the prefix is attached
is a noun, then "eu" would be translated as an adjective, "true" or "good".
When the root is an adjective, "eu" is an adverb, "truly" or "well".

When translating ancient Greek texts (something I'm sure all of you are
called upon to do every day), "eu" (pronounced like "eh-oo", but run together
into a single syllable), when it stands alone as a single word, is generally
an adverb meaning "well".

Nick P.