RE: Suchomimus' forcula

In a message dated 9/24/00 6:13:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes (in response to a message from calzola@iol.it):

>  On the one hand, this isn't unexpected: furculae are widely distributed
>  among tetanurines, and have been reported in coelophysoid ceratosaurs, so
>  their presence in _Suchomimus_ is not a surprise.
>
>  However, I don't know if you should be mentioning these discoveries without
>  the permission of the team.  Did you get this message from a news report?

The information is undoubtedly from the Dinosaur Expedition 2000 website, in
the updates section:
http://www.dinosaurexpedition.org/DinosaurExpedition/updatesmain.htm

Gabe Lyon writes, "The site does, however, preserve a wishbone! (furicula).
This single bone is an important discovery because Suchomimus is one of the
earliest dinosaurs to have this bone we humans have become so fond of."

Paul Sereno has also written a summary of the dinosaur discoveries so far (at
the same updates site).  The team is having quite an adventure, what with
gear being lost, mechanical difficulties, the gas shortage, a water shortage,
and a variety of other logistical problems.  It is a good read.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com