Sexual Dimorphism (was : Defunct genera and _Pekinosaurus galtoni_)

Problem is skeletal morphology alone tends to understate diversity; it's all too easy to ascribe all kinds of morphological differences to individual variation, ontogeny, sexual dimorphism (to cite the usual three culprits).<

In ammonites, there is a solid case for sexual dimorphism and I believe there is a pretty strong case for it in _Coelophysis_ _bauri_, using neck vs. torso length, limb ratios and skull lengths. Perhaps this type of data could be applied to other closely related theropods (which is actually work that I am in the process of doing right now). But, unless there is a significant population sample to draw data from (like the Ghost Ranch quarry), then speculation on individual variation is just that, speculation.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University