R: IGUANODON DIMORPHISM

> Jaime wrote..
> I think Norman suggested *Iguanodon atherfieldensis* is a
> feminine variation of *I. bernissartensis.*

Norman in is monographs on I. bernissartensis stated that despite a through
survey of the numerous Bernissarts specimens, it has not proved possible to
identify good osteological criteria for determining sexual dimorphism of I.
bernissartensis. The long-held belief that I. bernissartensis and I.
atherfieldensis are sexual forms of a single species is unfounded,
osteologically these two forms appear to be perfectly distinct and valid
species.
However, (I don't remember when) I have seen rumor that there is the
possibility that I. atherfieldensis is a juvenile or a subadult of I.
bernissartensis.

By
Marisa Alessandro
"Volounteer of Paleontological Museum of Monfalcone"
Via Achille Grandi n°18
38068 ROVERETO (TN) ITALY
Tel:039-0464-434658 Email amaris@tin.it