Re: "A Worrying Systematic Decline" by Lee

Jaime Headden wrote...
>  In the latest issue of _Trends in Ecology and
>Evolution_, Michael Lee takes issue with several
>annoying popularizations in paleontology, including
>selling off of rights to name taxa for funding...[snip]
>  i.e., If you pay for my research -- oh, say $1000 --
>I'll let you name this new toothy pycnodont fish....

    If somebody ends up sinking the fish into another taxon, can I sue?
Selling taxa names is a bad, bad idea.
Scientists can't afford to feel that thier hands are tied in ditching an
invalid taxon just because somebody paid good money for it.

LNJ
>From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
-Dr. Suess

His ignorance covered the whole earth like a blanket and there was hardly a
hole in it anywhere.
-Mark Twain
Jeffrey W. Martz
Graduate student, Department of Geosciences, Texas Tech University
3002 4th St., Apt. C26
Lubbock, TX 79415
(806) 747-7910