Re: LIONS & TIGERS REVISITED

In a message dated 9/26/00 5:19:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ELurio@aol.com
writes:

> Which is why, it seems that for the most part, most cats are listed in a
>  single genus
>  -Felis.

Not anymore!  Check out the following:

http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/catsinfo.html
http://www.bigcats.org/species.html
http://www.primenet.com/~brendel/felidae.html
http://www.csew.com/felidtag/pages/Reports/taxon_legal.htm

These give the updated generic names, but ignore any information given here
about suprageneric assemblages.  First, all modern cats belong to Felinae
(other partitions of Felidae have been set up to accomodate various fossil
taxa, but I can't remember their names just now).  Second, the word from
molecular studies is that Felinae consists of three major groups:

I.  Small South American cats: _Leopardus_ + _Oncifelis_ + _Oreailurus_;
IIa.  Wildcats and house cats: _Felis_ (sensu stricto) + _Otocolobus_;
IIb.  Everything else.

Nick P.