Re: worrying decline

Obviously no description is going to be as good as to see the real
specimen (if you can, go see the specimen). But several times (not very
often I have to agree) when looking at specimens in collections, I was
unable to collect more information than that already available in the
literature. Maybe this tells more about me than about the literature,
but I still do think that proper descriptive works have their place in
our science.<

I agree. There is no subsitute for going and measuring the specimen yourself (or, failing that, having someone close to the specimen measure it). This is precisely the situation I am in currently. Being in Arizona, I cannot very well just go out to UCMP on a whim and take my measurements of _Dilophosaurus_. I will have to rely on the literature. However, I can go up to the Museum of Northern Arizona (which is what I am doing later today), and take all the measurements I want of the _Coelophysis_ specimens there. Nothing beats doing the research yourself, but having descriptive literature is good, especialy if the specimen is not somewhere accesible.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University