Re: WYLEYIA A DROMAEOSAUR? [and a word on Yaverlandia]

Mickey_Mortimer wrote:

I completely disagree.  It is a very important specimen, as Wealden
coelurosaurs are extremely rare.

Too right. _Wyleyia_ may not be in the best state of preservation, but it's clear it's either a small bird-like coelurosaur or a true avian (though probably not a neornithine). Either way, it's an important fossil for the Wealden.

On the topic of dinosaur-bird relationships, here's Phil Currie Down Under...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0009/28/national/national7.html

And on the topic of the Wealden, I noticed Sullivan's NMMNH paper on pachycephalosaurs removed _Yaverlandia_ from the Pachycephalosauria. The thick frontals are the only pachycephalosaur feature it has. No mention though on what the skull fragment might be from. (Ankylosaur? Abelisaur? I wonder. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the process of re-reading the original desription of _Yaverlandia_.) With the Malagasy genus _Majungatholus_ now known to be an abelisaur, and _Taveirosaurus_ of Europe an undetermined ornithischian, pachycephalosaurs are now described for certain only from the Late Cretaceous of North America and Asia (Chatterjee's Late Triassic pachies from India notwithstanding).

But when somebody (Novas and Bandyopadhyay
in this case) actually bothered to look at the specimen, they found it was diagnostic.

Better than that, _Laevisuchus_ appears to be a small-sized abelisaur. The dinofauna preserved in central India's Lameta beds seems to have contained at least three different abelisaurs (there's also _Indosuchus_ and _Indosaurus_).

Tim