the mysterious hadrosaurian

In a message dated 9/28/00 1:46:07 AM EST, fabdalla@box1.tin.it writes:

<< Now, I would be very interested (and in another messageI will explain why)
 to know the most updated theory (and/or the most popular one) about the
 origin of hadrosaurs (taxonomy and region of origin).  >>

Dinogeorge@aol.com asks:
Does this have anything to do with a certain hadrosaurian named Antonio?

Of course.

I began to study the dinosaurs of the Adriatic region in 1993(I use this
geographical term because in southern Europe it is senseless to talk about
Italian, Austrian, Romanian, Croatian etc. dinosaurs: the Mesozoic
geography was completely different from the present political geography). I
did my post-doc on the Adriatic dinosaurs. The Adriatic region (NE Italy,
Central and S Italy (partim), Slovenia, Croatia, etc) was placed in the
central Tethys during Jurassic and Cretaceous times, drifting from a
position near Africa to the collision with Eurasia and the present fusion
to it. It was a marine region with "oceanic" carbonate platforms separated
each other by deep marine basins. Therefore, the region was placed in the
ocean between the African continent and Laurasiatic/Eurasiatic continent
(actually a strategic position).
It was a place where dinosaur evidence should be absent.

Well, in the Cretaceous of this region during last 7 years were discovered
and studied Scipionyx in S Italy, several sauropod bones(among which the
_Histriasaurus_ material and a dorsal centrum with a diameter of 32 cm)and
some theropod stuff from a Hauterivian-Barremian site in Istria (Croatia),
a site with dinosaur footprints in the Hauterivian of Istria, a site with
dinosaur footprints in the Hauterivian-Barremian on NE Italy and one in S
Italy, 5 sites with dinosaur footprints in the upper Albian and 4 sites in
the upper Cenomanian of Istria, and a footprint site in the Campanian of S
Italy.
Most of them (not Scipionyx, of course!)are described in my papers (e.g. my
contribution to the "ghost" Theropod volume of GAIA).
In 1992 hadrosaur bones were found in the Karst (in Italian, Carso)near
Trieste, NE Italy. In 1993 I asked to study the material because I was
doing my post-doc on the dinosaur evidence of the region. The official
responsible of the fossils (all fossils are State property in Italy and
nobody - NOBODY - is allowed to collect them without a State permission)
told me to wait for an official decision. Results? Nothing.
Then, in 1998 the Ministry of Cultural and Environmental Goods decided to
do a big excavation to collect more stuff in the site (mainly because we
thought that a complete skeleton could have been present into the
well-bedded limestone (with vertical stratification!) since the complete
forelimbs were exposed at the site surface). I was charged by the Ministry
of the direction of the field work and preliminary description of the
fossils. I directed the field work (with a LOT of problems)and we found
"Antonio", a complete, articulated skeleton of a Late Santonian hadrosaur.
I did the preliminary description for the Ministry. Then, I asked to study
(and publish) the stuff in detail after preparation (the bones can be freed
from matrix by acid, at least on one surface). A State committee was
created to decide who will study the dinosaurs from that site (more hadros
material was collected). Up to now they avoided to decide. Dinosaurs are
businness (scientifical, political and economical) and everyone wants to
deal with them once discovered.
So, at present the small, ?primitive, Santonian hadrosaurs of NE Italy are
undescribed. Anyway, they represent a new taxon, with some probable
apomorphies  even in the postcranial skeleton.
But even more important than a mere giving new names is the paleogeographic
aspect: what were doing hadrosaurs in the middle of the central Tethys?
This is the reason of my interest on the origins of hadrosaurs.
During last year I worked mainly on dinosaur footprints and pterosaur bones
to finish several papers begun years ago. I need to bring myself up to date
about hadrosaurs.

I have been boring, I know, with this long and messy story, and I apologize.
Fabio

The list of my publications on dinosaurs and pterosaurs:

1989 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., MUSCIO G. & WILD R., Pterosaur remains in a
gastric pellet from Upper Triassic (Norian) of Rio Seazza valley (Udine,
Italy). Gortania - Atti Museo Friul. St. Nat., 10(1988): 121-132, Udine.
1991 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Distribuzione temporale e geografica dei
dinosauri. In: MUSCIO G. (Ed.), Dinosaurs - il mondo dei dinosauri, pp.
27-41, Trento.
1991 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & MUSCIO G., I fossili della dolomia di Forni
(Norico - Prealpi Carniche, Udine). Paleocronache, 1(1991): 9 - 19, Milan.
1993 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Cearadactylus? ligabuei, nov. sp., a new Early
Cretaceous (Aptian) pterosaur from Chapada do Araripe (Northeastern
Brazil). Boll. Soc. Pal. It., 32(3):401-409, Modena.
1993 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Pterosauri, animali ancora poco conosciuti.
Paleocronache, 1(1993):42-45, Milan.
1993 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & LIGABUE G., On the presence of a giant
pterosaur in the Lower Cretaceous (Aptian) of Chapada do Araripe
(Northeastern Brasil). Boll. Soc. Pal. It., 32(1):131- 136, Modena.
1993 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., TARLAO A. & TUNIS G., Theropod (Reptilia,
Dinosauria) footprints in the Albian (Lower Cretaceous) of the Quieto/Mirna
river mouth (NW Istria, Croatia) and dinosaur population of the Istrian
region during the Cretaceous. Mem. Sci. Geol. Padova, 45:139-148, Padua.
1994 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., I dinosauri dell' Istria. In: LIGABUE G. (Ed.),
Il tempo dei Dinosauri, Quaderni de "Le Scienze", 76:82-86, Milan.
1994 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & MUSCIO G., Gli Pterosauri Triassici. In:
LIGABUE G. (Ed.), Il tempo dei Dinosauri, Quaderni de "Le Scienze",
76:63-68, Milan.
1994 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Jurassic and Cretaceous Sauropod evidence in the
Mesozoic carbonate platforms of Southern Alps and Dinarids. In: LOCKLEY
M.G., FARIA dos SANTOS V., MEYER C.A. & HUNT A. (Eds), Aspects of Sauropod
Paleobiology, GAIA, 10(1994): 65-73, Lisbon.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Descrizioni e interpretazioni scientifiche dei
primi resti di dinosauro riconosciuti come ossa di grandi rettili in alcune
pubblicazioni del XIX secolo. Natura Nascosta, 10:1-21, Monfalcone.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., A new pterosaur (Reptilia, Pterosauria) from the
Norian (Late Triassic) of Friuli (Northeastern Italy). Preliminary note.
Gortania - Atti Mus. Friul. St.Nat., 16(1994): 59-66, Udine.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Second record of a site with dinosaur skeletal
remains in Libya (Northern Africa). Natura Nascosta, 11:16-19, Monfalcone.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Dinosauri in Italia: stato delle conoscenze.
Natura Nascosta, 11:29-35, Monfalcone.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., TARLAO A., Dinosaur evidence in the Cretaceous
of Istria (Croatia). Proceedings of the First Croatian Geological Congress
- Opatija 18-21.10.1995., 1:151-154, Zagabria.
1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & VENTURINI S., A theropod (Reptilia, Dinosauria)
footprint on a block of Cretaceous limestone at the pier of Porto Corsini
(Ravenna, Italy). Riv. Ital. Pal. Strat., 101(1):93-98, Milan.
1996 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & VENTURINI S., Le possibili impronte di
dinosauro del M. Bernadia e le potenzialità paleoicnologiche delle sezioni
stratigrafiche. Natura Nascosta, 12:34-44, Monfalcone.
1996 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Lo studio del sito cretacico con impronte di
dinosauro di Cervera/Cervar (Punta del Dente, Istria). Natura Nascosta,
13:24-33, Monfalcone.
1997 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Terrestrial tetrapod evidence on the Norian
(Late Triassic) and Cretaceous carbonate platforms of Northern Adriatic
region (Italy, Slovenia and Croatia). Proceedings of the Int. Symp.
?Mesozoic Vertebrate Faunas of Central Europe? Deva, 22nd-24th August 1996,
Sargetia, ser. Sci. Nat., XVII: 177-201, Deva.
1997 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Dinosauri cretacei nella piattaforma carbonatica
Adriatico-Dinarica. Natura Nascosta, 15:22-28, Monfalcone.
1998 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., New observations on the osteology and taxonomic
status of Preondactylus buffarinii Wild, 1984 (Reptilia, Pterosauria).
Boll. Soc. Pal. It., 36(3, 1997):355- 366, Modena.
1998 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & MIETTO P., Impronte di rettili terrestri nella
Dolomia Principale (Triassico superiore) delle Prealpi Carniche (Pordenone,
Friuli). Atti Tic. Sc. Terra, ser. spec. 7:87-107 Pavia.
1998 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Remains of Sauropoda (Reptilia, Saurischia) in
the Lower Cretaceous Upper Hauterivian/Lower Barremian) limestones of SW
Istria (Croatia). Geologia Croatica, 51(2):105-134, Zagabria.
1998 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Theropod footprints in the Cretaceous
Adriatic-Dinaric carbonate platform (Italy and Croatia). In PEREZ-MORENO
B., HOLTZ  T., SANZ J.L. & MORATALLA J.J. (eds), "Aspects of Theropod
Paleobiology", Gaia, 15:355-367, Lisboa.
1999 - BOSCAROLLI D. & DALLA VECCHIA F.M., The Upper Hauterivian-Lower
Barremian dinosaur site of Bale/Valle (SW Istria, Croatia). Natura
Nascosta, 18:1-5, Monfalcone.
1999 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Atlas of the sauropod bones from the Upper
Hauterivian-Lower Barremian of Bale/Valle (SW Istria, Croatia). Natura
Nascosta, 18:6-41, Monfalcone.
1999 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., A sauropod footprint in a limestone block from
the Lower Cretaceous of northeastern Italy. Ichnos, 6(4):269-275.
2000 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., TARLAO A., TUNIS G., TENTOR M. & VENTURINI S.,
First record of Hauterivian dinosaur footprints in southern Istria
(Croatia). In: VLAHOVIC I. & BIONDIC R. (a cura di-), Proceedings of the
Second Croatian Geological Congress, Cavtat-Dubrovnik, 17-20 May 2000, pp.
143-149.
2000 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., A wing phalanx of a large basal pterosaur
(Diapsida, Pterosauria) from the Norian (Late Triassic) of NE Italy. Boll.
Soc. Paleont. It., 39(2): 229-234, Modena.
In press - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & TARLAO A., New dinosaur track sites in the
Albian (Early Cretaceous) of the Istrian  peninsula (Croatia). Part II -
Paleontology. In: DALLA VECCHIA F.M., TARLAO A., TUNIS G. & VENTURINI S.,
New dinosaur track sites in the Albian (Early Cretaceous) of the Istrian
peninsula (Croatia), Mem. Sci. Geol. Padova, 52/2: 100-166, Padova.
In press - DALLA VECCHIA F.M.,The Mesozoic Periadriatic Carbonate Platforms
as terrestrial ecosystems: the vertebrate evidence. VII International
Symposium on Mesozoic Terrestrial Ecosystems, Buenos Aires, September
26th-October 1st, Proceedings.
In press - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Sauropods in the Cretaceous peri-Adriatic
Carbonate Platforms (Croatia and Italy). International meeting on Scipionyx
samniticus dinosaur, Telese Terme, Proceedings
 Submitted - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., TARLAO A., TUNIS G. & VENTURINI S.,
Dinosaur track sites in the Upper Cenomanian (Late Cretaceous) of the
Istrian  peninsula (Croatia).

ABSTRACTS (published)

1995 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & KELLNER A.W.A., Comments on the pterosaurs from
the Late Triassic (middle Norian) of Friuli, Northeastern Italy. Journ.
Vert. Paleont., Abstract of papers, 55th Annual Meeting Society of
Vertebrate Paleontology, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, 25A, Lawrence.
1996 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., SPARICA M., TARLAO A., TUNIS  G. & VENTURINI S.,
Cretaceous emersions and dinosaur evidence in the periadriatic carbonate
platforms (Italy and Croatia). 30th International Geological Congress,
August 4th-14th 1996, Abstracts Book, Peking.
1996 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Dinosaur tracksites in the Cretaceous of Istria
(Croatia). Journ. Vert. Paleont., Abstract of papers, 56th Annual Meeting
Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, American Museum of Natural History, New
York City, 30A, Lawrence.
1996 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., The pterosaur Eudimorphodon rosenfeldi Dalla
Vecchia, 1995 from the Late Triassic (middle Norian) of Northeastern Italy
and its habitat. Journ. Vert. Paleont., Abstract of papers, 56th Annual
Meeting Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, American Museum of Natural
History, New York City, 30A, Lawrence.
1997 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Dinosaurs in the Cretaceous Adriatic-Dinaric
carbonate platform. Geoitalia, I Forum Italiano di Scienze della Terra,
Rimini, October 5th-9th, Abstracts, 2:60-62.
1999 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Remains of Sauropoda (Reptilia, Saurischia) in
the Lower Cretaceous (Upper Hauterivian/Lower Barremian) limestones of SW
Istria (Croatia). International meeting on Scipionyx samniticus dinosaur,
Telese Terme, March 25th-27th 1999, Guida all?escursione e abstracts,
25-26, Neaples.
1999 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M. & VENTURINI S., The Middle Cenomanian
Lagerstaette of Al Nammoura (Kesrouâne Caza, N. Lebanon). III International
Symposium on Lithographic Limestones, Bergamo (Italy), September 1-5, 1999,
Rivista del Museo Civico di Scienze Naturali ?E. Caffi?, suppl. n. 20:
75-78, Bergamo.
1999 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., The Mesozoic Periadriatic Carbonate Platforms as
terrestrial ecosystems: the vertebrate evidence. VII International
Symposium on Mesozoic Terrestrial Ecosystems, Buenos Aires, September
26th-October 1st, Abstracts, 20-21, Buenos Aires.
2000 - AVANZINI M., DALLA VECCHIA F.M., DE ZANCHE V., GIANNOLLA P., MIETTO
P., PRETO N. e ROGHI G., Aspetti stratigrafici relaivi alla presenza di
tetrapodi nelle piattaforme carbonatiche mesozoiche del Sudalpino. In
CHERCHI A. & CORRADINI C. (eds), Crisi biologiche, radiazioni adattative e
dinamicha delle piattaforme carbonatiche - Convegno di fine progetto
nazionale di ricerca COFIN97, Modena, 13-14 giugno 2000, Acc. Naz. Sci.
Lett. Arti di Modena, 21:11-14.
2000 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Rettili terrestri nelle unità noriche delle
Prealpi Carniche: implicazioni paleoambientali. Riassunti delle
comunicazioni orali e dei posters - 80° Riunione Estiva S.G.I., Trieste
September 6-8th 2000, pp. 184-185.
2000 - DALLA VECCHIA F.M., Dinosauri nella Piattaforma Carbonatica
Adriatico-Dinarica: implicazioni paleoambientali e paleogeografiche.
Riassunti delle comunicazioni orali e dei posters - 80° Riunione Estiva
S.G.I., Trieste September 6-8th 2000, pp. 186-187, Trieste.
2000 - MIETTO P. & DALLA VECCHIA F.M., L?icnosito del Monte Pelmetto
(Triassico superiore, Cadore, Italia). Riassunti delle comunicazioni orali
e dei posters - 80° Riunione Estiva S.G.I., Trieste September 6-8th 2000,
329-330, Trieste.
2000 - GIANOLLA P., MORSILLI M.D., DALLA VECCHIA F.M., BOSELLINI. A. &
RUSSO A., Impronte di dinosauri in facies di piattaforma interna nel
Cretaceo inferiore del Gargano (Puglia, Italia meridionale). Riassunti
delle comunicazioni orali e dei posters - 80° Riunione Estiva S.G.I.,
Trieste September 6-8th 2000, pp. 265-266, Trieste.