From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: Pterosaur relationships
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:18:23 +0200

> Don't call birds reptiles either.
>
> eric l.

But I will call them sauropsids...

Please be so kind as to abandon the term Reptilia. Reptilia in the traditional sense is a wastebasket like Thecodontia, additionally affected with all kinds of prejudices. Sauropsida is a much less confusing word and was cladistically defined before Reptilia (currently synonymous in cladistics), and Eureptilia (seems to be node-based: it includes Anapsida/Parareptilia and Romeriida, but not Mesosauridae) is already enough...

Before PhyloCode is active, we probably can't avoid Eureptilia and Eupelycosauria (all but the basalmost synapsids/theropsids), but we can avoid Reptilia.