R: the mysterious hadrosaurian

----- Original Message -----
From: David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: the mysterious hadrosaurian

> Maybe hadrosaurs immigrated there from Romania, which should not have
>been
> too far away, I think...

Different locality in Europe have provided remains of Hadrosaurids, I think
you mention that maybe Hadrosaurids immigrated from Romania because to this
region (Hetag Basin) was found Telmatosaurus transsylvanicus, but
Hadrosaurids is present also in Bakhtchisarai (Crimea Ucrania); Le Jadet
Auzas, Tricoutè and Lestaillts (Haute Garonne, France); Mèrigon (Ariège
France); Le Bexen (Aude France); Els Nerets and Sant Romà d'Abella (Tremp
Basin Spain); La Solana (Valencia Spain). Moreover the majority of the
European Hadrosaurids are from Maastrichtian not Santonian as "Antonio" is.
For me would be interesting to know if within the European faunas of
Telmatosaurus (expecially Romania and France) there are morphological
differences (chiefly dental),  in view of the Hadrosaurids material from La
Solana (Valencia, Spain), infact this specimen (know from a dentary and some
maxillary/dentary teeth) differs from the European Hadrosaurids
Telmatosaurus  in dental morphology, dentary teeth of Telmatosaurus are
recurved distally, and mesial denticles are supported by secondary ridge,
these features are not present in the dentary teeth of the La Solana
specimen. On the other hand the dentition of La Solana specimen is very
similar to the specimen described by Laurent (1996) collected from Tricoutè,
France and classified as Hadrosauridae indet.
I think that the origin and the following diffusion of the Hadrosaurids in
Europe is more complex than we are not thought.

By
Marisa Alessandro
"Volounteer of Paleontological Museum of Monfalcone"
Via Achille Grandi n°18
38068 ROVERETO (TN) ITALY
Tel:039-0464-434658 Email amaris@tin.it