Re: Crocs and varanids

>     Hello,       I am looking for referneces  discussing change in
>crocodilian and varanid distribution and ecology in  Australia within the
>last couple million years, particuarly since the end of the  last ice
>age.  I am also looking for refs on crocodilain ontogeny,  particularly
>regarding the dermal armour.  If anyone can help, I would  appreciate it.
>  LNJ
>From  there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
>-Dr.  Suess   His ignorance covered the whole earth like a  blanket and
>there was hardly a hole in it anywhere.
>-Mark  Twain
>Jeffrey  W. Martz
>Graduate student, Department of Geosciences, Texas Tech  University
>3002 4th St., Apt. C26
>Lubbock, TX 79415
>(806)  747-7910
>http://illustrations.homestead.com/Illustration.html

Paul Willis is the dude to contact regarding fossil Ozzie crocs.  In
particular, you''ll want to see:

Willis, PMA.  1997.  Review of fossil crocodilians from Australasia.
Australian Zoologist, 30:287-298.

Regarding crocodylian ontogeny - what aspects are you interested in?
Embryology?  Allometry?

chris

Christopher A. Brochu
Department of Geology