From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Tim Williams
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 7:19 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Progress schmogress (was Re: competition)

"KELL00BELL@aol.com" wrote:"...hominids with bigger brains..."

Unless there's some hominid fossils you're keeping to yourself, I didn't
think we knew enough about the evolution of this particular group to be all
that confident in this assertion.  Sure, _Homo sapiens_ is the only
surviving hominin species in the modern era - yetis and sasquatches aside.
But can we be absolutely certain say that the hominin species we replaced
had smaller endocranial capacities than our ancestors?

Rant ends.

Tim