From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
To: ELurio@aol.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Progress schmogress (was Re: competition)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:47:30 -0500

Eriuc Lurio wrote:

There are twenty thousand teleosts and two celocanths, which group is
better
at being fish?

I would say teleosts are better at being teleosts and coelacanths are better
at being coelacanths. Apples and oranges.

I'm guessing that you wish to imply by your statement that "more species =
more successful = more progress". How about this then; the family Hominidae
has only four living species (and three of those are not doing so well these
days), while there are over 1600 species of mosquitoes (Culicidae) in the
world today. Did skeeters therefore undergo more "progress" than naked
apes?

Rather than attemptying to define what "progress" might mean in an
evolutionary context, it may be better just to discard the term altogether.
The word misleads more than educates.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher