RE: Megalosaurs (was Re: An Interesting URL!)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Chris Collinson
>
> >I'm curious what the current status of "Megalosaurs" are.  I know that
> >some considered it a valid taxon, while others a vast wastebasket of
> >unknown theropoda.  Is there any chance that "megalosaurs" are actually
> >torvosaurids?
> >
> >Chris Noto
> >

> Well there's the French Poekilopleuron bucklandii, which was known from
> fairly decent remains and is probably the same animal as the English
> Megalosaur. Sadly much of Poekilopleuron was destroyed in WW2 so we may
> never know for certain. Bob Bakker has two new
> megalosaurs,Edmarka rex and
> Brontoraptor, and both are likely the same if not in fact a large T.
> tanneri. Other than these all other "Megalosaurs"  are likely
> doubtful, and
> all are curently listed under Torvosauridae.

Perhaps not...

The term "megalosaurs" is used by some (Gauthier in 1986, me in more recent
publications) as the informal term for non-avetheropod tetanurines.  As such
some "megalosaurs" are torvosaurids, some spinosaurids, and some
(Eustreptospondylus, Piatnitzkysaurus, Afrovenator, and more) of uncertain
affinity between these groups and avetheropods.

Several individuals and teams are working in basal tetanurine systematics,
and there are a few damn good specimens on the way which may help to resolve
some of the relationships.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742