Re: Carcharodontosaurus & Spinosaurus

Waylon Rowley wrote:

> --- Josh Smith <smithjb@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> > We have some evidence that the larger
> > non-spinosaurid theropods
> > in Egypt munched on sauropods.
>
> Well, besides the obvious, could you elaborate on this
> statement? Have you found something conclusive (i.e.
> Carch teeth lodged in sauropod bone)? This would be
> very exciting.

I don't want to elaborate too too much on it right now, because we need to
do some more taphonomy, but what we currently have is apparently munched
sauropod bones associated with cf. _Carcharodontosaurus_ dentition (and I
stress cf. here--my analyses say that this critter is most likely
_Carcharodontosaurus_, but the data are PRELIMINARY...).

> > However, as far as
> > _Spinosaurus_ eating
> > fish goes, all we have is some inferred behavior
> > postulated on the basis of
> > anatomy (much of that extrapolated from
> > phylogenetically close taxa) and
> > some extrapolations of behavior from other
> > spinosaurids.
>
> I suggest that S. would go for fish and
> ornithischians. Not an exclusively piscivorous diet.

yeah, probably, and turtles, and such...who knows maybe small theropods or
crocs even.

> Baryonyx (which seems far more suited to catching
> fish) wouldn't hesitate to kill a juvenile iguanodont,
> so I see no reason to assume otherwise regarding
> Spinosaurus. Kind of like the T.rex-as-scavenger
> hypothesis....no large carnivore feeds only carcasses.
> Likewise, no spinosaurine would feed only on fish.

Yeah, I agree 100%.  I have a hard time believing that a large carnivore is
going to bypass a tasty meal of a rather small animal that runs across its
path simply because in 100 million years some paleontologists are going to
get it in their heads that it was a scavenger.

> > Do I think that
> > _Carcharodontosaurus_  would have wiped
> > the floor with _Spinosaurus_ in an altercation?
> > Absolutely.
>
> LOL! Me too....

Would have been a short fight if you ask me.....

--
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania