From: Darryl Jones <dinoguy@sympatico.ca>
To: tholtz@geol.umd.edu, <smithjb@sas.upenn.edu>, <whte_rbt_obj@yahoo.com>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: The most dangerous dinosaur (humor, sort of...)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 14:25:45 -0400

At 02:12 PM 8/2/2001, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On >Behalf
Of  Josh Smith

> > > Do I think that
> > > _Carcharodontosaurus_  would have wiped
> > > the floor with _Spinosaurus_ in an altercation?
> > > Absolutely.
> >
> > LOL! Me too....
> >

> Would have been a short fight if you ask me.....

But what if he's got a pointed stick?

Having answered questions for various websites for the last month, as part
of the promotion of the JPI Dinosaur Field Guide, I've been besieged by
"could Spinosaurus really kill T. rex" questions.  I was good, and never
once responded the evil new dino-myth I wanted to propose: namely, that
the most dangerous dinosaur of all was Parksosaurus.  After all, it could
get in close and no one would suspect anything... :-)

However, my better took hold, if for no other reason than I didn't want to
spend the next few years coming across that statement accepted as a fact
and disseminated over the Internet.

Since the movie has come out so recently, my students have not had a chance to ask me the Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus question yet, but come September, I am going to have to answer it several times. "I think Tyrannosaurus would have EASILY defeated Spinosaurus, due to the fact that Spinosaurus had been dead so long. Not much of a fight." It amazes me that it matters so much to people who could win a fight. I wonder if it is an extension of the "my dad can beat up your dad" thingie.

I can't wait to teach my grade six's the Holtzian Parksosaurus/Kung Fu
Master theory.

Darryl Jones  <dinoguy@sympatico.ca>

For information on tyrannosaurids and
visit my webpage at: