RE: News story: Did We Get Dinosaurs' Noses Wrong?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of christopher robert noto
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 1:34 PM
To: Danvarner@aol.com
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: News story: Did We Get Dinosaurs' Noses Wrong?

OK, that's fine enough.  It doesn't seem to change that much about their
appearance, but what's up with the T rex?  The "new" reconstruction gives
it bare teeth!  I thought that theropods had at least a small amount of
covering over the teeth.  Not lips per se, but something fleshy.

Chris

Yes, no lips, that is 100 percent correct. No lips what so ever, read my paper.

Ford, T. L., 1997, Did Theropods have Lizard Lips?: Southwest Paleontological Symposium – Proceedings, 1997, p. 65-78.

Ford, T. L., 1998, A crocodile smile, or a lizard smile, which was it for theropods?: The Dinofest Symposium, presented by The Academy of Natural Sciences Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 17-19, 1998, edited by Wolberg D. L., Gittis K., Miller S., Carey L., and Raynor A., p. 15-16.

The nose I don’t believe for a minute. I’ll have to read the article, but I don’t buy it for a minute. Why in the world would an animal evolve with it’s nose on top of its head if its nostrils were still at the front?

Also, the skull’s noise is way to big and the ears are in the wrong place (yea, I know, nick picking). Are they using animals close to dinosaurs?

Tracy L. Ford

P. O. Box 1171

Poway Ca  92074