Re: Struthiomimus Exhibit

Actually, I saw the "distorted" back as a nice reference to
AMNH 5339 - the Struthiomimus skeleton preserved in a
spectacular death pose. Whether this was intended or not I
don't know - perhaps the artist thought the fossil reflected
the accurate state of the animal's back, or perhaps working the
pose into the piece was a deliberate acknowledgement of a
fossil worthy of inspiration. I'd like to give him the benefit
of the doubt and believe it's the latter.

I have the greatest respect for those artists and scientists
who strive for accuracy in their restorations, but I submit
that there are legitimate ways to combine art and science
without being constrained by notions of paleolife accuracy.

Matt.
hairymuseum@earthlink.net