Re: Struthiomimus Exhibit

Matt Celesky said:

"Actually, I saw the "distorted" back as a nice reference to AMNH 5339 - the
Struthiomimus skeleton preserved in a
spectacular death pose...perhaps working the pose into the piece was a
deliberate acknowledgement of a fossil worthy of inspiration..."

    It is difficult to conceive that any artist in a proper state of mind
would deliberately pay formal homage to a distorted, death pose fossil by
projecting that image into any portrayal of a dinosaur alive and well and
raring up to snag a meal!

    Matt added, "I submit that there are legitimate ways to combine art and
science without being constrained by notions of paleolife accuracy."

    Maybe in a museum of 'modern art', but, IMO, not in a paleontological
museum display.

    Ray Stanford

Sherlock Holmes