Re: Spinosaurid Nose Job

I would think that the retracted nares in Suchomimus is a special
adaptation to piscivory and would fall under the category of those
"exceptions" that Witmer mentioned in his paper.  Trying to place the
nostrils on the tip of the snout would look ridiculous, considering that
they had such narrow snouts to begin with.  The effect might be a
bulbous projection on the snout in order to make room for the nasal
tissues to pass if such was the case.  In all liklihood though,
I would expect those nostrils to be at the anteriormost edge of the narial
opening and pointing ventrally.

hope this helps,
Chris