Re: Species of Triceratops

T. Michael Keesey wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Michael Hanson wrote:

>> Note: "Eurycephale" Hanson, 2001 emend. Keesey  was previously  "Eurycephaila" Hanson, 2001

>Errr, since these haven't been published anywhere,
>"Eurycephale" Hanson, 2001 [pers. comm.]
>or
>"Eurycephale" [unpublished]
>might be more appropriate.

>An emendation citation would only be necessary if I had actually >published
>a correction of this name somewhere. And, actually, if you had >published
>it as _Eurycephalia_ somewhere, neither the ICZN nor PhyloCode >would support my emending it to _Eurycephale_.

>I don't even know if the name is warranted ... I'll leave that to others
>more knowledgeable for discussion.

Ok I think that T. Michael Keesey was right. I never knew exactly how to refer to "Eurycephale", so I put down what I thought was the right way to refer to it. Since "ICZN nor PhyloCode would support emmending" I think I  may revert to "Eurycephalia", anyway. It is definately an unpublished name, I only came up with it only a few days ago (I am not an expert on zoological nomenculture, so I would like to know what "warrented" means). I may not even describe the subgenus (since it is based on very fragmentary remains). I regard "Eurycephalia" as a very dubious subgenus that may not even exist. Here is a new and 'revised' 'Species of Triceratops.'

For a while I have been trying to figure out exactly how many species of Triceratops are there. This is what I have figured out.

Triceratops
    T. horridus
        T. horridus horridus
*
        T. horridus flabellatus*
    T. prorsus
    T. elatus
¤
        T. elatus elatus* ¤
        T. elatus obtusus* ¤
    T. eurycephalus •
    T. albertensis °
    T. alticornis °
    T. galeus °
    T. ingens °
    T. maximus °
    T. sulcatus °

=Type species
*=Subspecies are hypothetical. Those figuered here are specimens that seem to show enough differences in skull features to place them in some kind of grouping         other than individual (I have considered sexual dimorphism and age here).

¤=Triceratops elatus has been placed by many under T. horridus. This species seems to show natural reduction in the size of the nasal horn core, therefore, I         placed this here as a valid species along with its subspecies(T. elatus elatus [previously T. elatus and T. calicornis(intermediate between T. horridus horridus     and T. elatus obtusus)] and T. elatus obtusus [previously T. obtusus].

•= T. eurycephalus is based on a poorly preserved skull, yet it may show some subgenaric differences(if not a dubious species. I might consider a new name ("Eurycephalia") [I came up with this name based on the species name which means "wide head" therefore"Eurycephalia" means "wide-headed"]).

°= These species are dubious, they may be synonymous with T. horridus horridus*, T. horridus flabellatus*, T. prorsus, T. elatus elatus* ¤, T. elatus obtusus* ¤, or T. ("Eurycephalia") eurycephalus (If T. ("Eurycephalia" eurycephalus is not a dubious species, that is) .

Note: "Eurycephalia" [unpublished]