Re: Deinocheirus 2nd try

_Deinocheirus_  possessed the most formidable set of forelimbs on any creature
hitherto discovered. It's arms and claws are unlike those found in its relative,
_Therizinosaurus_. Apparently the proportions of key bones in the forelimbs are
not
the same. I belive the forearms are proportionately shorter than those in
_Therizinosaurus_. The claws are also very different being more curved and
thicker
relative to length. Admittedly, they do appear like predatory devices from a
casual
glance, but looks are often deceiving in the world of paleontology.

In any case, it's difficult to determine with certainty in the absence of
additional
material (most notably, the skull). I too, have often times speculated on the
diet of
_Deinocheirus_  and its general appearance. Although in the past
paleontologists had
proposed _Deinocheirus_ as a ~25' tall super-predator in a world where
dinosaurs such
as _Tyrannosaurus_ were primarily scavengers, this hypothesis has since been
revised.
Current speculation on _Deinocheirus'_ feeding habits runs the gamut from being
herbivorous, carnivorous, or even possibly omnivorous. All this speculation is a
result of not knowing what the skull was like.

If _Deinocheirus_ was indeed carnivorous, it would have gone against the
evolutionary
trend amongst giant predatory dinosaurs that rely on dentition for their main
weaponry. The forelimbs of theropods have seen a gradual decline in size
throughout
their evolution. What evolutionary pressure would have been exerted on
_Deinocheirus_
to evolve huge arms and claws for killing, would largely have depended on the
type of
prey it hunted. If indeed more complete _Deinocheirus_  remains are found one
day,
and it proves to have been a predator after all, I would love to know what kind
of
animal fell victim to those claws...