RE: Deinocheirus 2nd try

Mickey Mortimer wrote on 08/05/2001:

> Ooooh... Don't let Tom Holtz hear you say theropods had an evolutionary
> trend to decrease forelimb size.  :-) Perhaps I'll save his time
> by pointing
> out such a trend doesn't exist.

Dr. Thomas Holtz answered on 08/05/2001:

> Thank you.  For those who are wondering what Mickey is talking about,
> you can search the dino-list archives for the word
> "AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!"  (I may have misspelled it... :-).

Or just try Jeff Polings Dinosauria On-Line
http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/dromey/dromey.htm. Looks like Dr. Holtz
practised in 1995 for Jurassic Park, playing one of these victims munched by
a dinosaur ;-).

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow

Excerpt from  http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/dromey/dromey.htm:

> --big arms. Theropods in general, from Tyrannosaurs to Carnotaurs,
    >have evolved smaller arms. Why the big reversal in Dromaeosaurs?

    [Brace yourself, everyone :-) ]

AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
!

    Would someone PLEASE kill this bugaboo of an "argument" for me? Thank
you!

    Despite endless usage in ornithological textbooks everywhere, there is
NO (count them, No) major trend towards arm
    reduction within theropod evolution. A few lineages (advanced
megalosauroids, neoceratosaurs, tyrannosaurids, and
    Compsognathus) had reduced arms (shortened fore arms in the first two,
reduced as a whole in the second). Among the
    remaining groups of theropods, arms were of moderate (Coelophysoidea,
Carnosauria) or long (Coelurosauria) length.

    There is NO reversal of arm length in Dromaeosauridae. All of the out
groups (Oviraptorosauria, Therizinosauroidea,
    Arctometatarsalia, etc.) are characterized primitively by long arms.