Re: Species of Triceratops

----- Original Message -----
To: Dinonet
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 1:18 PM
Subject: RE: Species of Triceratops

        T. horridus flabellatus*

Beware of this guy! He's a tricky one. . .Marsh's and Hatcher's illustrations look little like the actual specimen. . .

One of the things that really irritates me is that that illustration is COMPLETELY WRONG!!! And it still gets used. Lull wrote a paper about this in 1934.

I’ve looked at the skull and I’m not sure the horns are real.

According to Hatcher's 1907 description, only the left postorbital horn is preserved. I too have seen the specimen, but it's been too long ago to remember if the original horn is mounted on the skull. My photos of that are packed away at the moment. . .

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 East St. Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD  57701