Re: semilunate carpal

And, to repeat Dan Varner's point regarding _Velociraptor_ vs _Protoceratops_ - it obviously worked. The semilunate carpal was put to lively (or deadly) use by these predators.<

Many people, including me, have characterized the V as "grasping" the Proto in that specimen.....and maybe it was. I have, however, seen the specimen since I said that and it now seems to me that based on its position the left hand could have just as easily been being used to push the Proto away. The conclusion that it was "grasping" is certainly reasonable, but not incontrovertible. The right hand, of course, is being held in the mouth of the Proto, so that isn't evidence of grasping ability one way or the other.

PTN