Re: semilunate carpal

ptnorton@msn.com wrote:

Many people, including me, have characterized the V as "grasping" the Proto in that specimen.....and maybe it was. I have, however, seen the specimen since I said that and it now seems to me that based on its position the left hand could have just as easily been being used to push the Proto away.

You mean the _Protoceratops_ was attacking the _Vellociraptor_!!!??? Crikey, what was it thinking??

The
conclusion that it was "grasping" is certainly reasonable, but not
incontrovertible.

But, on balance, I think the best interpretation is that _Velociraptor_ is grasping _Protoceratops_; _Velociraptor_ is the aggressor and _Protoceratops_ is the intended victim.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA-ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall