Re: semilunate carpal

twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<< But, on balance, I think the best interpretation is that _Velociraptor_ is
grasping _Protoceratops_; _Velociraptor_ is the aggressor and
_Protoceratops_ is the intended victim. >>

       Perhaps it could be more aptly put that the Velocirator was
"controlling"its victims head. The head and tail are retracted to avoid
injury. Protoceratops was armed much like a very lively alligator snapping
turtle. In this case, I'd bet the _V_is pushing the head away. Snagging the
prey's head could also result in the prey reflexively pulling back, allowing
for a possible strike to the throat or upper chest. Dangerous work for a
predator. Maybe Mark Hallett has some thoughts on this after creating his
wonderful restoration of the event in _Global Dinosaurs_. DV