Re: More nose thoughts

> Among reptiles with nostrils on the tops of their heads... well... Hmmm...
> Can't think of living reptiles showing this condition.

The closest I can come up with is the already mentioned
Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis) and the Aldabra
Tortoise (Geochelone gigantea), both of which have external
nares that extend back above and slightly in front of the
orbit (back toward the "forehead" as it were).  Both also
have fleshy nostrils at the front. Not nearly as extreme as
in the mammalian examples, but it's something.

Michael Habib
mbh3q@virginia.edu
Student, Biology Department
University of Virginia