Re: The Eternal Question: Lips or Skin?

Mark Hallett (MarkSabercat@aol.com) wrote:

<Apart from the interpretation of the maxillary and dentary
[foramina] in determining whether dinosaurs had fleshy coverings over
the teeth, there is another very practical problem that affects this
issue: conservation of body moisture and exclusion to some degree of
ectoparasites.>

  This is indeed a practical consideration, but the emphasis has been
on finding an osteological reason for them, and so far this is not
known. We can hypothesis their presecence for the reasons Mark
states, but I cannot consider this an overwhelmning consideration in
light of the extant phylogenetic bracket
the bet we can get is a lizard-like set of lips....

=====
Jaime A. Headden